If you’ve got a little kid running around, you most likely have a shelf full of colorful sippy cups. These are a necessity for parents because they give your kid independence without making a mess.
Mold in sippy cups is actually a bigger problem than it used to be. This is because sippy cups are more complicated than ever, with more moving parts, straws, valves, balancers, and removable pieces. Every cranny is an opportunity for mold to grow.
You need four things to get mold buildup: mold spores, temperature, moisture, and a food source for the mold.
Mold spores float around the air, so there’s nothing you can do about that. (If you have mold in your home, you’re more likely to find mold in other places, so ensure you have a mold-free home.)
Room temperature is enough for mold to grow. Since most people store their sippy cups in a cabinet, there’s not much we can do about this either.
So how do we prevent mold build up?
You can prevent mold by eliminating sources of food for the mold by making sure all food and liquids are cleaned out of the cup, and by drying the cups thoroughly so no moisture remains.
1. Fully disassemble the cup – Before cleaning, take apart every piece of the cup you can. Every crack and corner is a place for mold to hide, so you want to make sure your cleaning gets every nook.
2. Was the cup immediately – Don’t let it sit in the sink for a day before washing the cup. If you can, use a brush or scrubber on all pieces.
3. Rinse straws and valves – Ensure some flowing water moves down the straws and valves.
4. Wash by hand or dishwasher – You need to use water as hot as you can stand to scour the inside of the sippy cup. Dishwashers are great too, because the water get super-hot.
5. Thoroughly dry each part – Depriving mold spores of moisture is key. Make sure each piece is dry. If you washed them in the dishwasher, the machine usually takes care of this part as well.
6. Sanitize the cups – You can make a sanitizing solution by mixing a tablespoon of bleach with a gallon of water and soaking the pieces for two minutes, then drying. Usually, however, a dishwasher gets hot enough to destroy all organic material, so you can skip this step if you’re using one.
Written by Cindy Perry, Inventor of the pello, Luxe Floor Pillows
Cindy, a Texas girl, put herself through college working at a children’s library and sewing at night. When she met her husband and had her two boys, she decided to stay home to care for them while designing window treatments and bedding.
When Cindy’s first son was learning to sit up, he would always fall through the pillows she set around him, hit his head, and cry. Besides, setting her child down on the hardwood floors on just a blanket always seemed so cold. Using her years of sewing and design skills, Cindy took inspiration from a woman in her breastfeeding class and got to work. With some scrap fabric and a few tweaks, pello was born! pello is a luxe floor pillow that helps children feel safe, warm and protected.
For more information, visit mypello.com.
Interested in writing a guest blog for pello? Send your topic idea to email@example.com.
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. pello makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, current-ness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.